Terms and Conditions of Hire
All bookings must be paid for in full at the time of reservation.
1. A full refund of the booking fee paid at the time of booking will be given if cancellation occurs more than 6 weeks before arrival.
2. A refund of 50% of the booking fee paid at the time of booking will be given if cancellation occurs between 28 and up to 42 days before arrival.
3. Any cancellations made between 8 and 27 days before the arrival date will be given a credit for the days resold, to be used within 12 months. If the subsequent credited days are cancelled no refund or credit will be given.
4. Cancellations made within 7 days of the arrival date will not be credited or refunded under any circumstances.
5. No refunds or credit will be paid if you choose to arrive later than your arrival date or to depart prior to your pre-booked date of departure.
6. Cancellation or changes by us, in exceptional circumstances, may result in us having to cancel or change some aspects of your booking. If we do so we will tell you as soon as possible prior to your holiday date and you may choose to either:
a) Accept the changes offered by us.
b) Receive a full refund (of the amount paid at the time of booking)
c) Accept alternative holiday dates with us at the same price. We do not pay compensation in circumstances where we have to cancel your booking including those arising from Force Majeure. There may be circumstances beyond our control that could affect your booking.
7. We strongly recommend you consider taking out appropriate insurance. If you do have to cancel your holiday, please notify us in writing as soon as possible.
Amendments to your booking
1. Your booking will be in accordance with the details confirmed at the time of booking, including the rate of pitch fees payable at that time.
2. Your booking will be non-transferable and non- alterable within 30 days of your holiday start date.
3. You may make alterations to your booking up to 30 days before your booked start date including adding additional days to the booking (subject to availability) or the removal of days to the booking.
4. You may change to alternative dates within the same calendar year subject to availability and payment of a non-refundable £10 administration fee together with any difference in pitch fees for the amended dates.
5. If you wish us to make an amendment to your booking, we will use reasonable endeavours to accommodate your request, but no guarantee can be given.
6. Please be aware that any change to your booking may result in an increased pitch fee being charged. The Council reserves the right to charge any increase in line with the current pitch fee at the time of the change to the booking. Any increase will be notified to the Hirer at the time the booking is changed.
Southwold Camping and Caravan Site’s rules must be observed at all times.
If hirer’s fail or refuse to observe or comply with these conditions, he/she will be ordered to remove his/her tent, caravan, campervan or motor home forthwith from the site. No refunds of monies will be paid.
East Suffolk Council reserves the right to refuse admission to the site or cancel your booking at any time without prior notice.
1. East Suffolk Council accepts no liability, contractual or otherwise, for any injury to persons, or damage or loss of property. Vehicles, motor homes and tents, together with their contents and accessories are left at your own risk.
2. Booking tags must be displayed on the front of the tent, caravan, campervan or motor home at all times.
3. The hirer will be responsible for and make good any damage caused to the pitch or surrounding facilities during his/her occupation. Please advise Site staff of any damage as soon as possible during your holiday. Failure to repair or make good any damage will incur additional charges.
4. Facilities and amenities may be altered or withdrawn if circumstances beyond our control necessitate this. East Suffolk Council will place signs on Site to explain the changes.
5. The hirer shall take all necessary precautions against fire and in particular to ensure that no petrol or other flammable substances/combustible materials (particularly barbeques, wood, logs etc) are brought onto the site and used in a manner that causes risk of fire.
6. To adhere to fire safety regulations there must be a minimum gap of 4 metres between each item of living accommodation (tent, caravan, campervan, or motor home). Please pitch your tent, caravan, campervan, or motor home in accordance with the individual pitching plan/guidance for your respective pitch(s).
7. The pitching area for all sites within East Suffolk Council control is 4 metres wide by 10 metres long. Should your tent, caravan, campervan or motor home be too large to achieve the minimum distance you will have to hire an additional pitch, at the time of booking. Oversize units will be refused admission.
8. There must only be one sleeping quarter per pitch i.e. one tent, caravan, campervan or motor home. Additional pitches should be accounted for, if extra sleeping accommodation will be required, at time of booking.
9. Where specific pitches/special requests are asked for, we will do our utmost to fulfil your request. However, these requests cannot always be guaranteed, and we reserve the right to allocate an alternative pitch, without notice, at our discretion.
10. Due to the restricted amount of parking space available within the Site, only one private motor car may be parked upon each pitch. Where this is not possible another pitch must be hired for parking of additional vehicles. Alternatively, the motor car must be parked off site.
11. No tent, caravan, campervan or motor home shall be occupied by a greater number of persons that it is designed to accommodate. (Occupied means persons sleeping in the tent, caravan, campervan or motor home).
12. The number of people per pitch must not exceed the number stated when the booking was made, or such other agreement made upon arrival.
13. “Pup” tents, awnings and gazebo’s must only be used for storage and general day usage, and under no circumstances for sleeping.
14. Campfires / Fire pits are not allowed under any circumstances. Barbecues using barbecue charcoal or briquettes are permitted but must be supervised at all times, disposable barbecues must be raised off the grass (paving slabs are available at the bin bays – please help yourself and return them after use). Management reserve the right to, at any point, extinguish and remove a barbecue that is deemed to be unsafe or that is being misused.
15. The use of Fireworks or Chinese Lanterns presents a substantial risk to people staying under canvas and to the grassed fields around the Site therefore their use is prohibited at all times.
16. All users should behave in a manner that will not cause any nuisance, annoyance, or offence to occupiers of other pitches or to persons in the immediate neighbourhood.
17. No trade or business shall be carried out on, in or from any pitch and no signs or advertisements of any sort shall be exhibited.
18. The use of generators is restricted for exceptional circumstances. The Council reserves the right to prohibit the use of a generator (and require its removal from the site), if the site Manager considers the generator to be unsafe or a potential or actual source of nuisance to other occupants on the site or to persons in the immediate vicinity. Where generators are permitted, they must not be used between 10.00pm and 09.00am.
19. All hirers are expected to keep the pitch clean and tidy at all times during the specified period of stay and upon departure.
20. All users of the Site must be aged 18 or over unless accompanied by a responsible adult over the age of 24 years. Proof of age will be required. Individual circumstances will be considered at the discretion of the Site Manager.
21. If you are unable to arrive during the stated time of arrival, please contact the site staff as soon as possible. If you do not notify us, and your pitch is not occupied by 8.00am on the day after your scheduled arrival, we may treat your booking as cancelled and re-let the pitch.
22. All pitches must be vacated no later than 11.00 am on the day of departure. Should you fail to vacate your pitch and remove your tent, caravan, campervan or motor home by 11.00am on the day of departure, we reserve the right to take necessary action to remove your tent, caravan, campervan or motor home and any costs incurred will be due from the hirer to East Suffolk Council, and will be pursued as a debt
23. If circumstances dictate that you are unable to remove your tent, caravan, campervan or motor home by 11.00am please inform Site staff as soon as possible. We will consider alternative arrangements to assist you in its removal, however any additional costs that may be incurred will be due from the hirer to East Suffolk Council, and will be pursued as a debt.
24. Dogs are allowed on the Site but must be kept on a lead and under proper control at all times. Any dog mess must be cleared up immediately. Some breeds of dog including those listed in the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 are not allowed on Site. You must give full details of the breed of dog when making your booking to obtain our agreement.
25. Vehicles must not exceed 5mph anywhere within the Site.
26. Between the hours of 10.00 pm and 9.00 am noise must be kept to a minimum.
Force Majeure Event means any circumstance not within a party’s reasonable control including, without limitation:
a) acts of God, flood, drought, earthquake, or other natural disaster;
b) epidemic or pandemic;
c) terrorist attack, civil war, civil commotion or riots, war, threat of or preparation for war, armed conflict, imposition of sanctions, embargo, or breaking off of diplomatic relations;
d) nuclear, chemical, or biological contamination or sonic boom;
e) any law or any action taken by a government or public authority, including without limitation imposing an export or import restriction, quota or prohibition, or failing to grant a necessary licence or consent;
f) collapse of buildings, fire, explosion, or accident;
g) any labour or trade dispute, strikes, industrial action or lockouts;
h) non-performance by suppliers or subcontractors (other than by companies in the same group as the party seeking to rely on this clause); and
i) interruption or failure of utility services.
Provided it has complied with clause, if a party is prevented, hindered or delayed in or from performing any of its obligations under these conditions or relating to the terms of the booking by a Force Majeure Event (Affected Party), the Affected Party shall not be in breach of these conditions or otherwise liable for any such failure or delay in the performance of such obligations. The time for performance of such obligations shall be extended accordingly.
The corresponding obligations of the other party will be suspended, and it’s time for performance of such obligations extended, to the same extent as those of the Affected Party.
The Affected Party shall:
a) as soon as reasonably practicable after the start of the Force Majeure Event, but no later than 7 days from its start, notify the other party in writing of the Force Majeure Event, the date on which it started, its likely or potential duration, and the effect of the Force Majeure Event on its ability to perform any of its obligations under these conditions or relating to the terms of the booking;
b) use all reasonable endeavours to mitigate the effect of the Force Majeure Event on the performance of its obligations.
If the Force Majeure Event prevents, hinders or delays the Affected Party’s performance of its obligations for a continuous period of more than two weeks, the party not affected by the Force Majeure Event may terminate the booking by giving one weeks’ written notice to the Affected Party.
Compliance with Government Guidance, Legislation, Statutes, Laws, Local Byelaws.
All Owners will comply with any current Government Guidance and/or Legislation, Statues, Laws or Local Byelaws that govern the use of any Camping Site, including any temporary guidance. If East Suffolk Council is obligated to put in place any changes to the Site facilities to comply with current Government Guidance, Legislation, Laws, Statutes or Local Byelaws East Suffolk Council is not obligated to provide any refund of Site fees to the Hirers for loss of or restrictions to any Site facilities but will ensure that each Hirer is contacted to notify them of the changes (as soon as it is able). This clause includes any current Government guidance in light of Coronavirus.
The terms of these conditions of hire shall be enforceable by East Suffolk Council or any other legal owner of the Site, including any successors in title of East Suffolk Council.
Our excellent onsite facilities will make your stay as comfortable as possible
To view our full list of facilities at Southwold Camping, please click here